Monday 12 June 2017

Reuniting with the family.

Both of us had slept through the alarm...oops!

After breakfast, we made our way to Lake Louise, just over two hours from Calgary.

Another perfect day with the sun shining.  Arriving at Lake Louise, the blue I see in photos is just as spectacular in real life.  I couldn't believe that I was standing on the edge of the stunning Lake Louise.  WOW!!!  Followed the walking trail around as far as it could go.  Unfortunately due to snow melting and rain, it left the tracks a little mushy.  Turned back then went to check out the famous Chateau Lake Louise....tres grand!  Maybe when I will Tattslotto, I'll stay here but in the meantime, I can only dream.  Room start at $780CAD 😮.




Driving to the Icefields, we noticed a lot of cars pulled over the side of the road.  My cousin informs me that it's most likely a bear or moose, so of course I insisted he pull over.  It was definitely a black bear, though not a grizzly.  A bit further down was a brown bear but he soon disappeared.  I was rapt to see a black bear in the wild.  Of course everyone kept a safe distance.

As we were kind of on a time limit, we had to ensure we got to the Icefields, a further two hours from Lake Louise.  Again, as my cousin has already been, he had a snooze in the car as home was another 3.5-4 hours away.

Seeing the Athabasa Glacier, it's hard to fathom exactly how big it is until you're on it.  Purchased my ticket then waited for the bus to take us to the Ice Explorer.

Shuttle bus was only a few minutes and the Ice Explorer was an approximately 15 minute drive.  We were given half an hour on the glacier to take photos.  We were probably 1/3 of the way from the base of the glacier as where we were was considered a safe area, with signs to indicate safe zones.  The glacier moves approximately 1cm every hour.  Was able to drink the glacier water...couldn't get more pure and clean water.  Of course it was ice cold!  After the glacier, the shuttle bus took us to the Glacier Skywalk, about five minutes down the road.  As it was getting late, I only had a quick look around then caught the next bus back to the Discovery Centre.  Was hanging out for a coffee but unfortunately the cafe closed at 6.00pm 😠.





Pitstopped in Jasper (1 1/2 hours) for a dinner on the run....Pizza Hut so we could get to home not super late.  Arrived at 10.30pm as the kids wanted to see their father and me.  Got to bed well after midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment